February 25, 2024

Writers Block

I'm struggling to progress with my story. I've established the beginning, but I hit a wall when trying to brainstorm different directions it could take. It's maybe similar to playing Chess or Go, where I need to anticipate my opponent's next moves. I've never been able to it. It's seems too much for my brain.

However, I'm finding it challenging to come up with fresh ideas beyond the initial few. 

How can I get rid of writers block?

I will set a timer on 5 minutes brainstorming and see what happens. I am not sure about the result, but I'm positive minded.

___

UPDATE - Mo, 26.2.24

After setting a timer for 5 minutes, I was still not able to unblock my writer's block. But what helped me was the following excercise: 

  1. Scrivener: Create a blank page 
  2. Scrivener: Activate Composition Mode 
  3. Phone: Activate Airplane Mode 
  4. Scrivener: Creative Writing (write everything that comes to your mind)
Following those four points helped me get into a flow state while writing.
I couldn't write because I was trying to organize my thoughts and write at the same time.Writing can be messy, and when you try to organize things while you're writing, it's easy to get overwhelmed and lose track of what you're doing.

While organizing and writing simultaneously might work for some people, it doesn't for me. It only leads to writer's block. That's why I recommend you ... 

.... to avoid writing and organizing at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Screenwriter's Contract with the Audience

As a screenwriter, you have a contract with your audience. Did you know that? I didn’t until I watched Andy Guerdat's interview on Film ...